KUALA LUMPUR, July 1 (Bernama) — The Cabinet has decided not to allow pay TV station Astro to raise its rates until the company gets clearance from the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission, said Information Communication and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim.
He said the matter was discussed at today’s Cabinet meeting and that the members felt it was not appropriate for Astro to raise its rate at this time.
“I agreed that Astro’s rates could only be hiked with MCMC’s approval and that any hikes must be reasonable and conform to the law,” he told reporters after chairing his ministry’s post-Cabinet meeting at Angkasapuri here.
He said Astro had violated MCMC’s regulations by issuing notices on its rate hikes to customers without the commission’s clearance.
“As such, I have asked MCMC to take appropriate action and instruct Astro not to continue with the rate hike until such a time deemed more suitable.
Explaining what he meant by “appropriate action”, Rais said this was up to MCMC to determine and that it could be a fine with the amount as allowed under the Communications and Multimedia Act 1998.
Astro recently announced that it would be streamlining the packages it was offering, which would take effect on July 11.
According to Astro, following the streamlining exercise, customers could make savings of between RM4 and RM14.95 or pay nominal increases of between RM1 and RM15, depending on packages preferred. — BERNAMA
However, MCMC said it did not expect the overall recovery of these websites to take long as most of them had already recovered from the attacks.
“Our monitoring of the situation showed that there was a reduced level of attacks by 4am this morning and upon further evaluation, we found there had been little impact on Malaysian users as a result of this attack,” it said in a statement.
The attacks followed an announcement by a foreign-based hackers group, Anonymous, to hack into the government’s official website www.malaysia.gov.my yesterday.
‘Anonymous’ had cited alleged Internet censorship by the government and the recent blocking of 10 file-sharing sites in Malaysia as two of the reasons for wanting to launch the attack, which it codenamed “Operation Malaysia”.
MCMC said there were indeed attempts to hack several websites which started at approximately 11.30pm Wednesday, including on its own www.skmm.gov.my site, but was not successful.
MCMC said its Network Security Centre had been making concerted efforts to mitigate the attacks around the clock and would continue to work with other enforcement agencies and security experts as well service providers to monitor the situation.
The public is advised to report any information they may have regarding the identity of these hackers as the act to disrupt network services is a serious offence, which is punishable by law. — BERNAMA
JAMESJG.COM : During the current World Blogger and Social Media Conference in Kuala Lumpur, Ahmad Izham Khairuddin, the Head of Outreach Department of Cybersecurity commented that it will be a challenge for Anonymous to hack into their (Cybersecurity) website.
Following that statement, Anuj Singh, the Director of Global Response Centre, IMPACT Malaysia said that all websites are hackable.
Obviously its a cushion statement just in case Cybersecurity got hacked! Yup..
AN OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM THE MALAYSIAN COMMUNICATIONS AND MULTIMEDIA COMMISSION (MCMC) IN RELATION TO THE HACKING OF MALAYSIAN GOVERNMENT WEBSITES BY UNKNOWN HACKERS
CYBERJAYA, 16 June 2011 – Regarding the threat by unknown hackers to attack websites with the .gov.my domain, the Malaysian Communications and Multimedia Commission (MCMC) confirms that there were indeed attempts to hack several
websites, including www.skmm.gov.my. The attempt to hack MCMC’s website was not successful.
These attacks started at approximately 11.30pm, on 15 June 2011. We are able to confirm that 51 .gov.my websites were attacked and there has been disruption at various levels to at least 41 of those websites. However, we do not expect the overall recovery to these websites to take long as most websites have already recovered from the attack.
Our monitoring of the situation showed that there was a reduced level of attacks by 4.00am this morning and upon further evaluation, so far we gauge that there has been little impact on Malaysian users as a result of this attack.
MCMC’s Network Security Center has been making concerted efforts to mitigate the attacks around the clock and will continue to work with other enforcement agencies and security experts as well service providers to monitor the situation.
The public is advised to report any information they may have regarding the identity of these hackers as the act to disrupt network services is a serious offence, which is punishable by law.”