SESCO blackout twice in a month

Updated: August 13, 2007

There was another major blackout in Miri on August 11, 2007. According to this news report by Bernama, the source of the black out was due to a fire at one the transformer. This was the second incident over a month’s period. The earlier major blackout was not even in the news (everyone said that the media was not allowed to publish the news – well, its common in Sarawak, anyway!)

To my understanding (correct me if I am wrong), we should be having two sources of power in Miri, 1., from Batang Ai Hydro Station and 2., from the power generators at Pujut 1.

In the recent blackouts, what happen to SESCO’s back-up plan? While many residents cried over rotten food, SESCO remain silent on the issue, and we have yet to see any reduction on our bills!

Below is the news extract from The Borneo Post Online:

Blackout blamed on sabotage

Transformer totally damaged, causing 18 hours of darkness; 2,000 Miri residents affected

MIRI: A Sarawak Sesco Berhad electricity transformer was totally damaged last night, believed to be sabotaged, causing an 18-hour power supply disruption to some 2,000 residents in Piasau, here.

The blackout lasted from 10.40 on Saturday night to 4.12pm yesterday.

A Sarawak Sesco staff when contacted said work to restore supply to the area could not be carried out immediately as the whole transformer had to be replaced.

Information obtained from the contractor involved in restoring the power supply, told Bernama yesterday that their inspection revealed that someone had drained out a few hundred litres of lubricant required to run the transformer, causing it to burn out.

The contractor said work to replace the transformer only started yesterday morning as they could not get the replacement unit immediately from Sarawak Sesco on Saturday night.

Sarawak Sesco’s northern region manager Polycarp Wong could not be contacted to comment on the incident.

– Bernama

The post below was posted earlier on 20th July.

Almost the whole of Miri City were without electricity yesterday starting from about 11 a.m. Some of the power were restored to commercial blocks around Imperial Mall.

Most of the shopping complexes have their own back-up generator, but banks were mostly reduced to manual key-in, etc.

Residential areas are only lighted from 6.30 p.m onwards while those around Piasau Lorong 1-11 may have electricity restored much earlier.

Electricity to my area at Taman Da Sing was restored at around 6.30 pm yesterday.

I was made to understand by unofficial source that there was a major transmission breakdown. Our Deputy Chief Minister 1, Datuk Patinggi George Chan was not available for comment since he had to attend two functions yesterday.

A check in the Borneo Post online today reveal nothing on the power breakdown!!

What happened to our back-up station at Pujut 1?

3 thoughts on “SESCO blackout twice in a month”

Leave a Reply